Cycling began to develop in the 90s of the last century. Today, it has gained huge popularity in European countries, and in recent years it has been making its way more intensively to our sports complexes. Cycling, which was initially considered by many as a kind of cycling with all the advantages of the latter, regardless of weather conditions, has actually grown into a separate sport. What it is and why to love it (or not), we will understand in our article.
What is cycle Training?
Cycling is a high-intensity interval training session on a special spin bike simulator, similar to a sports bike. A spin bike differs from a regular exercise bike by at least placing the saddle and handlebar on the same level. Basically, cycling is a combination of cycling and fitness. It is very dynamic and is considered one of the most effective ways to get rid of excess fat and strengthen muscles. About 500 calories are burned in half an hour.
Classes are held mainly in groups accompanied by a coach and accompanied by loud incendiary music. The duration of training is usually from 45 minutes to an hour. During this time, you may change the pace, intensity, and difficulty of the exercises depending on the selected mode on the simulator, the speed of pedaling, and the position of the body. Thanks to the built-in functions, you can choose the level of load according to your physical fitness and the goal you set for yourself, as well as simulate different types of terrain. Special handles on spinning simulators (another name for cycling) allow you to perform aerobic exercises with the upper part of the body. During your workout, you alternate between several positions: sitting, standing, and putting your hands on the steering wheel.
Due to the fact that during cycling you need not only to pedal, but also to do various exercises, different muscle groups are trained. To increase the intensity of training, weights (for example, dumbbells) are sometimes used.
What do you need for cycling training?
For cycling training, you do not need any additional equipment, you just need to take care of a sports uniform, towel and water. If everything is clear with the last two, then the first point needs to be dealt with in more detail. From clothing, you can use either a regular sports T-shirt with shorts or leggings, or a bicycle uniform (jersey with bicycle shorts). But when choosing shoes, you need to pay attention to the simulators that are used in your studio. If they have contact pedals, then you need special cycling shoes. And if with regular ones, then you can also wear sneakers. But make sure that they have a solid sole and a well-fixed foot.
What are the advantages of cycling?
- high efficiency of classes;
- ability to select different load levels and modes;
- pumping all muscle groups;
- increased stamina;
- improving the functioning of the cardiovascular system, more intense oxygen saturation of the body;
- strengthening the respiratory system;
- improving your mood;
- strengthening the immune system;
- suitable for any gender;
- group classes among like-minded people and musical accompaniment provide a team and fun atmosphere;
- beautiful figure without cellulite;
- available at any time of the year.
Disadvantages of cycling
- training is not recommended for people with a low level of physical fitness;
- the joints are heavily loaded;
- discomfort, especially at first, due to getting used to sitting;
- not suitable for people with cardiovascular problems, varicose veins, hypertension;
- linking to the coach.